Selling at 1818 Auctioneers
Saleroom Manager, Bill Nelson shares his thoughts on selling at 1818 Auctioneers, looking back over the last five years, considering the role of the pandemic, and looking ahead to new ways of reaching an enthusiastic buying audience across the globe.
“Things have changed in my five years with 1818 Auctioneers. We launched our weekly auctions, introduced live and commission bidding online, and held Saturday viewings as well as establishing new specialist auctions to complement the popular Fine Arts auctions. Auctions have been held in the livestock ring and cattle pens, the recently-built Exhibition Hall, and now in our two-floor saleroom following the addition of the mezzanine floor. And throughout that time, the auctions have continued to grow in quantity and value and we’ve looked to provide the best selling and buying experience for our customers.
The pandemic shook everything up and we made the move to online-only auctions that run over a couple of weeks so that buyers have plenty of time to browse and bid. The results following our return from lockdown have been outstanding and far exceeded our expectations. The-saleroom.com have given us great support during this pandemic allowing us to reach customers old and new, and they deserve the industry’s thanks. The statistical analysis they produce has enabled us to gain the best results for our clients and the length of the timed auctions gives the lots offered good exposure to potential purchasers.
So now we look forward again and make a couple of further changes to ensure business as usual for all of our clients, whether buying or selling – or both.
We are currently working to the capacity of the space we have and putting as many lots through the online timed auctions as we can. But we’re very aware that with the sad news that PFK is no longer holding auctions in Penrith, more sellers will be seeking an alternative. That means we will need to keep the same number of lots going through the auctions but we’ll also need to be slightly more selective about the items we receive for auction.
New Selling Guidelines:
- At the moment we have clients attending a valuation for a specialist item who also bring a few extra lots as well. Unfortunately, we are not able to take these extra lots as we have people waiting to consign items and it would lead to queue jumping.
- We are very happy to come out and see what you wish to sell before consigning the items to auction. It’s in everyone’s interest to ensure items are saleable. Please call 015395 66201 to arrange a home visit (social-distancing is adhered to throughout the visit).
- If you have a large consignment and some items are not going to make enough to cover the lot fee and seller’s commission, we can offer advice on other options, help arrange transport and even arrange whole house clearances.
- If you have a small consignment please make an appointment to bring it along for an appraisal and we will tell you there and then if it’s worth offering for sale. If you have a valuation booked, please confirm all of the items you wish to have valued as we are unable to include any extras bits and pieces without prior agreement.
- All appraisals will be strictly by appointment only. Any drop-ins will be asked to book an appointment.
- Once we have appraised items we will book a slot with our Saleroom Coordinator to accept delivery of saleable items.
- The withdrawal of a lot near the conclusion of a sale causes disappointment for potential buyers watching the auction as well as taking the space of another lot. We will therefore charge the lot fee on any lot withdrawn within 10 days of the auction closing.
Thank you to all our clients old and new. You have been fantastic through these uncertain times. We are now as busy as we have ever been and by changing what we do it has enabled 1818 Auctioneers to carry on trading in a safe and efficient manner.
Finishing this on an even higher note, we’re pleased to announce that from the 4th October, purchasers will enjoy a reduction in the platform fee charged by the-saleroom.com for timed auctions. The rate will go from 5% plus VAT to 3% plus VAT.”